Learning and knowledge is so important of course so try the following:
1) Get Certified by a recognized professional organization.
2) Write publications, books, ebooks, info articles and yes white papers
(a fine suggestion John). Being published adds credibility.
3) Make presentations to universities, schools or nonprofit organizations
and video tape it, then edit the video to show all the highlights and post
it on your website/blog or YouTube…
4) Do community service/volunteer work in a relevant area to your
professional field this way you can list it as community service too.
5) List your all military education and technical courses taken.
6) For computer, software and IT skills you can earn certification exams
from Microsoft and other recognize authorities. I have written resumes
for many folks with incredible technical knowledge who make huge
salaries because of technical certifications and know how (yes even
7) Learn a foreign language with the help of Rosetta Stone and DVDs with
alternate languages and english captions on the bottom of your screen
and flaunt it on your resume. Learn Arabic fluently and earn $100K+
per year easily.